Sunday evening, I had excruciating back and rib pain. It got to be so bad that around midnight, Mike said we were going to the ER. The pain kept escalating to where I could not find any relief. Soon after we got to the ER at Anne Arundel Medical Center (same place I am to deliver), they rushed me up to Labor and Delivery.
We aren't sure which came first, the rib pain or the contractions, but either way, once they hooked me up to their machines, it was clear that I was having contractions. They tried a couple drugs, including morphine, which didn't seem to do anything. The nurse in charge of me then told me later that she has seen women come into the hospital fully dialated who were in less pain than I was in. They finally decided to give me a huge muscle relaxer called Magnesium Sulfate. This was a huge attempt to stop my muscles from contracting. It didn't seem to work at first as my contractions were going to every 2-3 minutes. For those of you who don't know much about the timing of contractions, that is not good. That meant little Aiden could be born sooner than expected.
In addition to this, the nurses said that if things continued as they were going they might have to give me steroid injections to help Aiden's lungs develop quicker than normal that way if he comes out early, he'll be ok. A couple hours after saying that, they told me they needed to give me the shots. It started to hit me that he just might be making his way out, but didn't worry too much about it.
So, fast forward a couple of days, I was released on Wednesday and told to relax. Just had my doctor's appointment and was told not to go to work for a few weeks or do much of anything. He said my cervix is further along than it needs to be. So, here I thought I'd be going to work on Tuesday - fat chance. He said I could go to the baby showers that were coming up - and that it would be good for me - but he wants to see how things go.
I will say that I felt a lot of peace and joy in the midst of everything. Yes, I was in a lot of pain, but throughout the entire thing, the nurses/doctors were wonderful and I felt very cared for. I appreciate all the prayers and support that have come out for Mike, Aiden and myself. We'll just see how things go.
Thursday, October 9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So, you have plenty of time to sit around and post the pics from the first baby shower, right? SMILE!
ReplyDelete